What is the keto diet
Ketosis is a state that develops as a result of carbohydrate fasting of cells, when an organism begins to decompose fat into a large number of ketone bodies to generate energy (Wikipedia).
I intentionally used this definition because it is the best way to describe this state! I like the word “fasting” because the body consumes your fat and converts it into ketones to produce energy when you are fasting.Unfortunately, many people believe that eating greasy foods is enough to lose weight. They may eat even three-four times a day! The body will certainly enter ketosis and will produce them from fats. It will be adapt to the method of generating energy, but will it consume your fat reserves in this case? I doubt. There is no reason for body to burn its own fats when you supply it three or four times a day (even with snacks) with greasy food. Many people do not think about this. Therefore, I want to emphasize that you will not slenderize properly on keto diet if you do not make any attempt of fasting, and continue eating fat food contradicting all the canons of HN. The body does not need to waste your fat if it comes from outside in large quantities!
Is keto food as dangerous as they write about it?
In Russia, doctors are still cautious about keto nutrition, because there are no studies of people who have followed this system for more than two years, but there are actually quite a lot of them and research is bound to come.
In the West, keto is considered to be a diet of curative diseases, shown in obesity, type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance (reduced sensitivity of cells to insulin), autoimmune diseases and other serious problems, but you need a doctor to correct them.
Well, if the diet is medicinal, does it have to be temporary? That’s right. I believe that it is impossible to be constantly on a pure keto diet (in which the proportion of carbohydrates in food does not exceed 5%) and on some other types of diets, for example, the carnivor system. This concept is specifically concerned to women.
I am confident in the benefits of periodic “carbohydrate downloads" or switching to LCHF nutrition after achieving the desired weight improvement results. That’s what I’m going to explain on my course and in this book in details.
People like eating according to theseprinciples; they like their well-being and decide to stay on it for a long time. They allow themselves to deviate from these rules only on vacation or at a banquet. And so do I. Most of my time I follow keto nutrition according to my method, and switch to LCHF for two or three months a year. So, what does this method mean?
- Ketones (ketone bodies) – a group of metabolic products formed in the liver during breakdown of fats (these include acetone, acetoacetic acid, beta-hydroxybutyric acid). They represent the energy substrate for the body. (wiki with modification)
- Fats in dietology are one of the most important components of food, along with proteins and carbohydrates. Chemically they are lipids. Fats play the role of a source of energy in the body and make up about 80% of its reserves (energy reserves deposited on the abdomen and thighs – author’s note). In addition, fats serve as a building material for cells. It is generally accepted to divide food lipids according to their aggregative state at room temperature: solids – actually fats; liquid substances – oils. (wiki with modification)
- There are saturated and unsaturated fatty acids. The source of saturated fatty acids is food of animal origin, unsaturated fatty acids are of vegetable origin. Saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids can be synthesized in the body.
- Carnivore (from the Latin – “flesh-eating") is a principle of nutrition, the main idea of which is to eat animal products. Any food of plant origin is excluded from the diet. It is often considered in conjunction with a keto diet, since the basic principle of losing weight is the same – getting energy from ketone bodies.
- LCHF food (low carbohydrates, high fat) is a type of low-carbohydrate diet, which, compared to keto nutrition allows a higher percentage of carbohydrates in the diet.